Thursday, July 16, 2009

Poor Gracie, Part II


My poor little heart broke for Gracie today. I had to take her for her second round of shots. She was so excited to see other pets and humans in the waiting room and took her shots like a champ. After I paid, we walked around in the parking lot for a bit and I gave her a drink. I noticed that she was rubbing her eyes but didn't think much of it because one of her cutesy tricks into getting her own way is to play cute by rubbing her eyes and then looking at you so innocently. I put her in her carrier and off we went. About 1/2 a mile down the road I turned around to see if she was sleeping and the poor lovie's eyes were practically swollen shut. I did a quick pull over to check her out a bit more and without much hesitation drove her back to the vet. When I took her out of her carrier, her eyes were completely swollen and red. She looked like she just did a round in Tap Out. Still in her pain, she looked so innocent like "help me mamma." Her little tummy was red with hives. The vet gave her some benedryl and another shot which brought the swelling down, listened to her heartbeat and sent us on our way. I felt so sad for her drive home. I had promised her a trot in the park but obviously we couldn't do that. Danielle came home early so I could go to work and from the last report, she's doing much better. The swelling has gone down and she is running around the house like a mad woman which is baseline for her.

7 comments:

Melissa said...

Poor baby. She looks like she's in such a sad state :(

Anonymous said...

aw, poor puppy! its great you were still so close to the vet when you noticed and were able to get her some relief asap. glad to hear she is feeling better and back to her energetic self! :)

Jess said...

Awww, poor Gracie!! I had a pup that did the samething. It freaked me out. The benedryl helped pretty quickly.

giggleblue said...

wow! it sounds like a bad reaction to the vac! i hope that she won't have to have that one again or that she grows out of the allergy. scooter was allergic to one of the vac's he had and i vowed to never give it to him again! poor baby! i'm happy she is feeling better.

tireegal68 said...

poor little baby - but what a good save by mama L! I hope she feels better soon - she sounds like such a doll!

Gayby Rabies said...

Poor sweetie! It's lucky that you noticed she had the allergic reaction while you were still close to the vet. I'm glad to hear that she's back to her crazy puppy self.

Anonymous said...

It's so sad and scary when that happens. I had a dog that was stung by a bee and puffed up just like that. Glad she is feeling better!