Tuesday, December 30, 2008
1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
Lisa: Visited the Bahamas
Danielle: Went on a cruise and traveled outside of the U.S.
2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Lisa: I will make more for the new year as well as a wishlist which are things I want to purchase during the year. That list is usually met before the resolutions.
Danielle: I didn't make any.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Lisa: I had a few close friends/family get pregnant this year but no births yet.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Lisa: No, I've been lucky in that dept. No one close to me has ever died.
Danielle: My uncle died.
5. What places did you visit?
Lisa: Key West, FL; Nassau, Bahamas; CocoCay, Bahamas; Kentucky; Columbus, Ohio; NYC and Long Island, NY
Danielle: Key West, FL; Nassau, Bahamas; CocoCay, Bahamas; Kentucky; Columbus, Ohio; and WV for the casinos.
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
Lisa: A baby
Danielle: More money
7. What day from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Lisa: Obama being elected as president
Danielle: Cruise vacation
8. What was your biggest achievement(s) of the year?
Lisa: Got a job making more money.
Danielle: Can't think of anything significant
9. What was your biggest failure?
Lisa: Not getting pregnant.
Danielle: Not taking the poker deal (long story)
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Lisa: Developed chronic back pain.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Lisa: Ipod, new laptop, and cruise vacation.
Danielle: Wii and cruise
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Lisa: Danielle for putting up with my moods
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Lisa: Parents who dropped their kids off at the Safe Haven in Nebraska because they lacked parenting skills or the desire to address their child's needs.
Danielle: My sister for staying with her dumb ass boyfriend who uses her and cheats on her constantly.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Lisa: Reproductive Health Services (RE) and the Sperm Bank.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Lisa: Our cruise
Danielle: Our cruise
16. What songs will always remind you of 2008?
Lisa: Can't think of any
Danielle: Can't think of any
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
Lisa: Ironically, a little happier. I think I am able to deal with my infertility just a tad bit better and continue to hold hope that it will happen. Also because Danielle and I talked about her taking over in a few cycles if it doesn't work out so I kind of have faith that our family will start one way or the other in 2009. I am definitely fatter and a little richer both economically and emotionally.
Danielle: A. Sadder because I have less money. B. Fatter C. Poorer
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Lisa: Traveled and visited my parents
Danielle: Save money and travel.
20. How did you spend Christmas in 2008?
Lisa: At home without my family.
Danielle: Spent it with my family while Lisa stayed at home (long story). It was the second worst christmas of my life.
21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
Both: continued to remain in love with each other.
22. What are your three favorite photos of 2008?
Lisa: Picture of the beach in Cococay, the apple pie I baked for Thanksgiving, dressed up for the cruise.
Danielle: Picture of Slice (our cat)
23. What was your favorite TV program?
Lisa: Brothers and Sisters
Danielle: Greys Anatomy
24. What did you do for your birthday in 2008?
Lisa: Had the most awesome cake and was introduced to the Wii during my cake party.
Danielle: Went out to dinner.
25. What was the best book you read?
Lisa: Kite Runner
Danielle: Read too many to pick.
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Lisa: Corrine Bailey Rae
Danielle: Can't think
27. What did you want and get?
Lisa: Earning more money and working closer to home.
28. What did you want and not get?
Danielle: My own laptop
29. What were your favorite film this year?
Lisa: Sex and the City
Danielle: Can't think
30. Did you make some new friends this year?
Danielle: Roxanne and Marta
31.What is one thing that would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Lisa: Getting pregnant and saving more money
Danielle: More money
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Lisa: Anything that fit
Danielle: Jeans, t-shirt, and Air Force Ones.
33. What kept you sane?
Lisa: BBC and having others who knew what it feels like to go on this journey, Danielle, and sleep.
Danielle: Slice, Lisa, and tv
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Both: Prop 8, high gas prices
35. Who did you miss?
Lisa: My parents
Danielle: No one.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
Lisa: Can't think
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
Lisa: Mix it up a bit. TTC but also continue to do the things that you enjoyed once upon a time.
Danielle: Be grateful for what you have because there are people out there who have much less.
Saturday, December 27, 2008
If you've checked out my ticker, you'll notice that we are leaving for our well deserved, long awaited cruise in two weeks. There are so many choices for things to do on the islands. Our 7 day cruise will stop in Puerto Rico, St. Martin and St. Thomas. So we decided that our days will be mixed with touring the islands, a zipline course, snorkeling, a banana boat (I'm terrified of that) and we are going to lay out at Orient Beach in St. Martin which is a "clothing optional" beach (read: nude---gasp!!!) I think it will be awesome. We will never see these people again and if I'm going to be honest I think it's kinda hot! Danielle refuses to go san bathing suit top but I'm working on her.
Today was fun because we went to get books for the beach and did a bit of window shopping for a new bathing suit (Thank you Target for being the only store to have swimsuits in December), and buy some travel gear.
On a mini rant: The stores are unbelievable. Just 2 days ago, it was Christmas. I wanna say that I wasn't surpised but I was... the stores had Valentine's Day stuff out already. Are you kidding me?
Wednesday, December 24, 2008
Unfortunately, we're not going to my brother's house for Christmas. My MIL's cat, Bella, is sick and the vet said it is contagious so we have no one to watch our cat. While I'm really sad about it, I know we will make the best of it.
buy nintendo wii game system
Friday, December 19, 2008
- Make Christmas Cookies
- Shop for gifts
- Attend a Christmas party
- Finalize Christmas Day plans
I'm going to be so busy but that is what happens when you catch the Christmas spirit late (read: procrastinate). I'll keep you posted with pics.
On a more serious but thankful note I want to send a shout out to Santa for helping this little girl. As some of you know, I'm a therapist and specialize in working with children who have been abused so I was particularly drawn to an article I read on CNN about a little girl who wrote a letter to Santa in school asking for the person who was sexually abusing her and her sister to stop. From that they were able to arrest the child's stepfather. The abuse had been ongoing for the past 5 years. If it weren't for Santa, who knows how much longer it would have gone on for.
Saturday, December 13, 2008
I bought a Christmas tree hoping that will help but it's undecorated and the decorations are sprawled all over the dining room. When we brought it home, I had instant regret about buying it and wish I could take it back or donate it to a family who couldn't afford one.
I ventured out this morning in hopes of starting some Christmas shopping and came home with nada. When did Christmas shopping become so superficial? I would like to go back to basics when you gave gifts as a reflection of the gifts brought to Jesus, because they had meaning no matter how much they cost. Not because you feel like you have to spend X amount on a person or buy X amount of gifts for one person. Aggrrr! Don't mind me. I'm just out of sorts this year. Usually, I'm obnoxiously filled with Christmas Joy. This year I'm feeling very Scrooge like.
Tuesday, December 9, 2008
Logan: Aunt Lisa, do you have any children?
Me: No honey I don't.
Logan: But I want you to!
Me: Yeah, me too.
I just thought it was the dearest little conversation. Just goes to show that you can get ttc support even from a 3 year old.
Here's a clip of her from Saturday's baby shower.
Tuesday, December 2, 2008
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Both- depends on the gift and how much time I have
2. Real tree or Artificial? Real.
3. When do you put up the tree? Around the 2nd week in December
4. When do you take the tree down? Usually the first weekend after New Years
5. Do you like eggnog? No
6. Favorite gift received as a child? Speak and Spell and my Cricket Doll
7. Hardest person to buy for? My Dad who seems to have everything
8. Easiest person to buy for? Danielle
9. Do you have a nativity scene? Yes, it is so cute.
10. Mail or email Christmas cards? Mail, although I seem to wait too long for the ones overseas
11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? A water feature Danielle's aunt gave me.
12. Favorite Christmas Movie? Bad Santa (so dysfunctional), It's a Wonderful Life, Little Women
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Black Friday
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? No
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Anything that reminds me of an English Christmas (i.e. trifle, christmas cake, chestnuts)
16. Lights on the tree? Yes although there tends to be dispute between white lights (me) and colored lights (Danielle).
17. Favorite Christmas song? Gloria.
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? I usually travel but I've spent 1-2 at home.
19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer's? No
20. Angel on the tree top or a star? Angel, as a child that was my only role. To put her at the top of the tree.
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? Christmas Day. I never got the whole Chrismas Eve thing.
22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? People doing crazy things to get their child the "it" item. Also people totally neglecting the acknowledge the true reason for Christmas.
23. Favorite ornament theme or color? This black barbie that Eddie got me. She looks beautiful and so glamorous in her white gown.
24. Favorite place for Christmas dinner? My parents.
25. What do you want for Christmas this year? Lotion made by Fresh and a camcorder for our cruise.