Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Week 9

This week brought about envy and other conflicting feelings. I've met some other new moms during my maternity leave. We've met for music time at the library followed by lunch, frozen yogurt, jaunts at the zoo or picnics in the park. It's been great. However, I'm reminded that this will not last and soon I'll return to work while some of my new found friends will remain home with their babies. On the one hand I know I will be grateful for the intellectual stimulation work brings. But on the other hand I desperately long to be home with my son.

Unfortunately, being a SAHM is not an option for me. However, working different hours is. Working the evenings 3:30pm to midnight would allow me to be home during the day with him but then it takes me away from my Danielle. Working 9am to 5:30pm as I am now allows me to be home in the evening with everyone but not spend as much quality time with Preston as I would like. How do you 9-5pm moms feel? Do you feel cheated by the small amount of time you get with your child during the week? Maybe this is just my anxiety about returning to work and separating from him. However, I am annoyed that a lot of enrichment activities are limited to morning and afternoon hours such as diaper gym, baby lapsit, swimming lessons, etc.

We had another exciting road trip this past weekend. This time we drove to Washington DC to visit Preston's godmother and her mother. I haven't partied like that in a long time and my body reminded me of that the following day.

And as always I'll leave you with a picture of my little stud muffin from last week's photo shoot.






- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My work hours are 8-4:30 but with my 30 mile commue, we're out the door by 7am and I don't get home til 5. It's a long day, but I'm happy to see the wee ones at the end of it. Our nights are typically pretty quiet, more of a winding down, since both kids are so busy during the day, Ceara with school and Farty playing at the farm and with the other kids for a few hours at the sitter's. I don't believe in cramming every waking minute with a scheduled activity, so we are pretty low key. A little NickJr, some books, baths, bed.
You will find the routine that works for you, but it will be rough at first and require some adjustments from all.

giggleblue said...

i feel semi guilty about not spending as much time with GP as a stay at home mom would, but i am also reminded that she needs the stimulation of a play group and time with her friends to foster her independence.

at night, we are mainly dinner, a bit of play, and bed. occassionally throught the week we go out for yogurt, ect.

in the end, i think this is what is working best for us. i know the stress i would surrounding being a stay at home mom and for me, that would make my time we spent together worthless.

Carrie and MJ said...

OMG - he looks like such a little man! They grow up so fast. How much longer do you have before you have to go back to work? I can only imagine how much you love spending your days with Preston....