Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Ouch

We are 36 weeks in to our breastfeeding relationship and it wouldn't be a relationship without a bump or two in the road right?

Last night Preston bit me twice while nursing. Both were towards the end when he was just grazing and playing. The first time I ignored it but removed him. The second time I told him "no" in a stern voice. Well talk about mommy guilt. He looked up at me with those bright brown eyes and his lip quivered. It was a look of surprise from the sound of my voice and hurt that I would use that voice and take the boob away. We went back to nursing a little later on with a better outcome. I'm not sure I'll ever forget that look.

The other bump has to do with Preston instituting a 2am feeding. If I go to his room to console him, he spits his binky out and wails louder and louder until I give in and nurse him. So tonight we are going to switch it up a bit and send Danielle in. I know he will fall asleep if she rubs his back or face.

Fingers crossed.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

3 comments:

tireegal68 said...

Ouch indeed! I hope that is the last time that happens and hope Danielle can help out with the 2am wake up

Melissa said...

Same thing happened to us. I had to tell Jackson "No!" because he's started biting me on my arm. He'll crawl over and take a chunk out of my arm, just for fun. The first time I told him "No!" he gave me the same look you're talking about and he burst into tears. I felt horrible :(

Anonymous said...

Its hard when they get to an age where you have to start setting limits. When I put Farty in time out, he now bursts into tears and wails 'I'm sorry mom, I love you soooo much!' Its hard to stay firm, but hey, we're not raising cave men here!