Thursday, February 5, 2009

1pm MRI, yeah right!

Doctor appointments can be so aggravating. As a therapist, we are expected to meet with our clients on time. However, I guess that lesson went out the window in med school. Today I had an appointment to have an MRI at 1pm. I wasn't taken back until 1:30pm and that's only because I asked to reschedule my appointment because I had to see a client at 2pm at my private practice. The receptionist told me to hold on that someone would come and get me. Five minutes later the tech came to get me and told me that the MRI would take 40 minutes. Obviously I had to cancel, pay $4 for parking and rush to my office. Now I have a friggen 7:30am rescheduled appointment on Saturday. Could I get a shittier time and day? Who wants to be anywhere at 7:30am on a Saturday?

As some of you read, I fell down the stairs in November. Yep, just totally missed a step and went tumbling hitting into the wall causing a sudden injury to my lower back. Well ever since, I've been experiencing horrible back pain, intense pain running down the back of my leg and as of late, complete numbness in my right foot. It's kind of (okay VERY) scary. I cannot stand for long periods of time (read: more than 5 minutes) and walking more than a block is really painful. My PCP is insistent on getting back surgery and I'm really resistant to the idea. According to Dr. Google, there are less invasive ways to address this such as PT, acupuncture, massage, and exercise. So I was sent to a neurologist and he sent me to have an MRI. I go back next Wednesday to discuss the results and my options with the neurologist.

Despite all of this, I plan to ttc when my next cycle starts. Yeah, it's probably not the smartest move all considering if I do in fact need surgery then the pregnancy will postpone it and the weight of the pregnancy may exacerbate my symptoms. But when a gal has been on break since October, then said gal is anxious to get back in the game.

Talking about babies (were we?), I went to see baby Marley over the weekend. She is incredibly adorable and one of those angelic babies that rarely cry. She makes these very serious faces as though she is worried about her taxes. It just makes me laugh. However, I directed most of my time to her older sister Logan (age 4). We made valentines magnets one night and guacamole another night. I'm a true believer that if you include children in the cooking process they are more open to trying new foods. She did a fantastic job but just needs to work on the "no double dipping" rule.

During my visit, I was also able to spend time with my mother who flew down from Florida. I haven't seen her in a year so it was nice spending time with her. She amazes me because she whips out these meals and desserts with very little thought. One afternoon, she just decided to make an apple pie. This would have been a project for me, not just something I whip up on a whim. It was great seeing her in the grandmother role. I am anxious for the day she comes to my house for a week to fuss over our baby. That day will come soon. It has to.

4 comments:

tireegal68 said...

Oh I'm sorry about the back pain - sounds horrible .I agree with Dr. GOogle -there are so many more things to do before you resort to back surgery. that is a last resort. You didn't have chiropractic in your list of stuff to do. I know that helped me ( when I could afford it) -but I didn't fall down stairs - though I do have a very old injury that has caused degeneration.
I don't blame you going on with TTC. The back can wait. Esp if you get some alternative therapies.
Sounds like you had fun with the kids - and your mom sounds great!
Good to see what you are up to. good luck on that 7.30 am MRI - I had an 8.00am mammogram and I was not amused!
I hope you get some relief from the pain:)

Rachel said...

I would be hesitant about surgery too, hoping you can find other ways to heal.
7:30AM is a time not fit for man nor beast (although Farty has not yet learned this lesson).
Glad you had a nice visit with your family!

Catherine said...

Wow, I hope you get some answers about your back. And yes your day is coming soon

Anonymous said...

i can completely understand the desire not to prolong the ttc break. sorry to hear you are in such pain, i hope the alternative remedies can bring you some pain relief.