Sunday, December 20, 2009

No More McDonalds

This post is kinda boring (so feel free to skip) but I just wanted to document my thoughts about my illness and to vow never to eat McDonalds again. Which I should point out that I rarely ever eat to begin with but being hungry late at night drove me to eat a burger and fries for the sake of something quick and accessible.

I ended up in the ER again for the second time in a row Friday into Saturday night. My fever continued to escalate that night and if it weren't for the fact that I'm pregnant, I would have stayed at home to ride it out. They hooked me up to an IV and hydrated me which caused my fever to go down and I was released to go home.

H1N1 Kickback or a doctor who just doesn't listen? Let me first say that I was vaccinated for BOTH the flu and H1N1. But while I was at the hospital, they tested me for H1N1 and "because H1N1 is the worst thing you could have" they gave me a prescription for Tamiflu which has a hefty $70 copay. I opted not to fill the prescription because I didn't have confirmation (and we still haven't heard from the lab) as to whether or not I truly have it. We got home at 4am at which time I took Tylenol and woke up at 9am feeling tons better.

So why the skepticism? Well for one, I told the nurse and doctor about eating the McDonald's hamburger at 10pm and getting sick at 2am. I brought it up repeatedly because I thought there was a definite correlation. I also pointed out several times that I had been vaccinated for both. However, the doctor said "well you have a nausea, GI upset, fever and bodyache which are the same signs of H1N1." I wanted to point out that they are also the same symptoms of the flu and now that I did some googling, found out that they are the same symptoms as the stomach flu (gastroenteritis). So although I can appreciate their thoroughness, I found the nose swab (a swab that they push down the back of your nose down your throat) very invasive as well as an unnecessary $70 medication.

I just wish I had googled prior to going to the ER but I was so sick I didn't have the energy. Mr. Midwife was on the right path all along. He agreed from the start that it probably had something to do with the burger and it would probably pass within 24-48 hours. But he told me to call him if my temp went over 101 and when it did, he told me to go to the ER. So I'm sure I'll start the new year out with two nice medical bills (thank god for insurance).

By the way reading what causes gastroenteritis is really gross. Pretty much, it's caused by spoiled food or someone not washing their hands after using the bathroom. Somehow the latter, grosses me out way more.

8 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh yuck...glad you are feeling better though. I had no idea thats what causes gastroenteritis.

giggleblue said...

i'm very sensitive to things like this and i've gotten gastroenteritis several times that landed me in the ER. weird.

i'm happy you are feeling better, and happy that you trusted your instinct and yourself in the situation.

Jess said...

Yucky!! I dont blame you for not ever wanting to eat their again. I'm so glad you listened to your instincts and that you are feeling better! what a bad week for you.(hugs!!!)

J and DZ said...

Yikes.. I'm sorry you're still not feeling any better.
I wouldn't want to take Tamiflu either if I were in your situation but keep the prescription on hand in case you get any worse or it travels to your lungs. Without having a cough I'd be very skeptical.
Hope you're feeling better soon!!

Anonymous said...

Doctors and hospitals can be so frustrating! When you tell them valuable information, they seem to ignore it and treat you like an idiot.
I hope that by now you are on the road to full recovery!

anofferingoflove said...

OMG, you poor thing! Glad you are feeling better.

Gayby Rabies said...

What a horrible and scary weekend! I don't eat fast food much either, but this story has totally turned me away from it. I'm so glad to hear that you're feeling better.

Anonymous said...

I really like when people are expressing their opinion and thought. So I like the way you are writing