Thursday, February 4, 2010

Tentative Birth Plan

Birth Plan

Dear Patrick,
Thank you for helping us along every step of the way. Your support has been incredible and I look forward to you being my caregiver for the birth of our child.

Safety permitting, during labor we hope for:
· Intermittent fetal monitoring per ACOG standards. I do not want to be strapped to the
bed.
· The ability to walk and move around as much as possible, use the Jacuzzi and/or shower,
and the use of massage and relaxation.
· Different birthing positions (i.e. kneeling, squatting, birth chair)
· No pain medication. I am aware that I can change my mind and I will ask you if I do. If I do
in fact choose medication, please limit it to an epidural. If medication is needed due to
complications please thoroughly explain what each one is and why I need it. Please let
us exhaust all non-invasive means before using these.
· Low lights, low music, minimal chatter, and minimal exit/entry, especially as I get more
active and when I am pushing.
· Minimal hospital personnel present at birth. Although a student is welcome to observe.
· Aside from you and a nurse, I would like Danielle to be my only other support person in
the room. Family and friends are to wait in the waiting room especially when labor
intensifies and I begin to push.
· KANGAROO PROTOCAL PLEASE. If for some reason I am not available to provide this,
the baby is to be given to Danielle who will take over.
· Ample time to hold and breastfeed my baby immediately after birth
· Absolutely no bottles or pacifiers are to be given to the baby. I plan to breastfeed and
would like the baby to be brought to me for all feedings.

We know things can happen requiring us to modify our plan. We also know we might change our minds along the way. We really appreciate your support and help on our birth team.

Thank you

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like how you are so flexible in your plan: recognizing that things can and do change, and that you may or may not need help with pain. You're not setting yourself up for a sense of guilt and failure by setting impossible standards. Good job!

tireegal68 said...

that's a great plan, Lisa - I really like it! It comes across as calm and firm and that you know yourself and you know what you need. I salute you!

anofferingoflove said...

i love your birth plan -- hope you are able to get what you want on d-day. your midwife sounds amazing.

jessie said...

sounds great!