Thursday, February 25, 2010

Lamaze Class #1

We started lamaze last night. Of course, we were the only lesbian couple and I was the only black person there out of 10 other couples. I think most couples caught on that Danielle and I were there as a couple. However, one girl was just so clueless. The ice-breaker was to go around, find out each others names and due dates. Well there was one other couple who are due April 9th like us. However, the clueless girl didn't catch on so when she introduced herself to us and we both said April 9th, she thought there were 3 of us due April 9th. Later on, she was talking to Danielle about baby experiences in a way that she was waiting for Danielle to relate as a carrying mom would. However, she seemed a little confused when Danielle couldn't. Maybe next week....

Class is from 6:30-9pm which is great for us working people. However, it makes for a long day. Towards the end, the teacher engaged us in a relaxation exercise where she turned out the lights, had us lay on mats with our pillows and put on soothing music and did some guided imagery. I remember her saying something about beach umbrellas and that was it, I was out for the count. Danielle had to jab me to wake me up!!! The teacher had forewarned us that this may happen. Let's just say, I have no problems relaxing. I do think guided imagery will help me during labor as well as using a focal point. The first thing that comes to mind as a focal point is a vase of purple or deep pink tulips. So hopefully, we'll buy some the weeks leading up to my due date.

Tonight I'm off to an open house for a Pediatric Office. Tomorrow, I have a prenatal appointment. Saturday is Danielle's mother's surprise 50th birthday party and Sunday we are visiting friends. It's been a busy week. My goal for next week is to get my hospital bag packed. I know it's early but I'd rather have it waiting than trying to scramble at the last minute.

5 comments:

anofferingoflove said...

ha! i love the image of the clueless classmate - people are so oblivious!

i like your idea for a focal point, sounds beautiful! i used to joke that mine would be a can of diet coke ... the promised land after delivery! ;)

J and DZ said...

When I was in labor and my epidural was not working my Doula went through guided imagery exercises and they really worked!! Better than the epidural which says A LOT!!

Sounds like it's easy to get a pediatrician where you are? It's AWFUL here. I just wrote about it - we had NO choice because only one office was accepting patients! We were lucky but certainly weren't able to shop around!!

Anonymous said...

LOL at you falling asleep during class. I'd have trouble staying awake at 9pm if someone turned the lights off and put on soothing music, even when NOT pregnant!

giggleblue said...

i don't even need the lights off to go to sleep these days... sad.

Jess said...

I like that, guided imagery. As for the hospital bag, I have also started, but so far I only have the baby's things ready, now I just need to get my stuff ready as well.