Saturday, December 13, 2008

Wanted: Christmas Spirit

I'm having a difficult time getting into the Christmas spirit. I'm kinda going through the motions but I'm not really feeling it. I was suppose to meet my parents in DC at another family member's home but they are no longer going and it costs an arm and a leg to fly to Florida. My brother is working over the holidays and even though Danielle will be here, it will be one of the loneliest Christmas' ever for me.

I bought a Christmas tree hoping that will help but it's undecorated and the decorations are sprawled all over the dining room. When we brought it home, I had instant regret about buying it and wish I could take it back or donate it to a family who couldn't afford one.

I ventured out this morning in hopes of starting some Christmas shopping and came home with nada. When did Christmas shopping become so superficial? I would like to go back to basics when you gave gifts as a reflection of the gifts brought to Jesus, because they had meaning no matter how much they cost. Not because you feel like you have to spend X amount on a person or buy X amount of gifts for one person. Aggrrr! Don't mind me. I'm just out of sorts this year. Usually, I'm obnoxiously filled with Christmas Joy. This year I'm feeling very Scrooge like.

7 comments:

Melissa said...

You are not alone. I haven't put up any decorations and refuse to do so. I normally love this time of year but this year I'm just blah. Hang in there!

S. said...

no, you are definitely not alone. i feel like christmas is happening all around me, but i am not a part of it. i just cant get in the spirit this year. im ready for it to be over so we can get on with '09 already!

Catherine said...

You can feel that way. Some years I feel that too. The holidays put a lot of pressure on people

Anonymous said...

I'm visiting my in-laws in DC... only to hide out and avoid the festivities in my hometown. You are not alone. Christmas means nothing to me this year. I bought for three people only because they are related to me and under the age of 8. That's it. No tree, no decorations.

I will, however, indulge in the FOOD of the Christmas season. That's it.

Rachel said...

I am so frustrated with the expense of it all. I feel like I go deeper in debt every year, and for what? In a few weeks, no one will remember who got them which gift anyway.
I tell myself every year that I'm going to scale back, but then I get the guilt trip from my parents...who are very wealthy, and then I feel like I really HAVE TO spend a fortune on the entire family.
What happened to a quiet celebration of life and hope??? I am just hoping not to go bankrupt.

giggleblue said...

i've never been one for the christmas spirit. just don't see it as something that is ultra important.

i don't venture out to the mall during the entire month of december. i'm hard pressed to go to any other retailers, unless it's sunday morning.

i completely understand.

tireegal68 said...

Lisa - even though I love Christmas songs, I am a big bah humbug about the presents - esp this year.
I spend a lot of time and energy making sure our clients have great holidays - two nice parties etc etc - but it feels like there is nothing left for me.
I really like it to be over fast.
I could go to sleep after Halloween and not wake up till April and I would be fine!
The only people I buy for anymore are as I put it" the young and the infirm". that means it's my mum, who is in a nursing home in England and sad and lonely without my dad, and my two nieces and one nephew.
We had a fair traid and handmade bazaar at our church today - which is where I bought my gifts for nieces and one for myself and one for S.
I at least felt good that I was not contributing to corporate greed and buying more plastic and lead filled crap.
Don't despair - I hope you get through it all okay - I hope we all do:)
TG:)