Monday, March 23, 2009

The rebirth of our bathroom

When we moved in to our home, we decided to paint the bathroom purple. The purple in my mind (a soft lavendar) was not what ended up on the wall. Danielle, didn't mind it but I hated it and desperately wanted to start over again. However, we lived with it for about 2 years. With the recent water damage, we were fortunate enough to use some of the money to update our bathroom. For a very long time, we desperately wanted to tile the floor, fix the shower from leaking onto the floor, get a larger vanity and address the mirror issue. Danielle and I constantly fight over mirror space and because we are both tall (I'm 5'10" and Danielle is 5'11") our vanity felt very low. Saturday we shopped for accessories and Sunday we put it all together. Here's what changed:
  • Wall color went from purple to Cumberland Fog (Behr). It's like a soft blue with grey undertones.

  • The shower curtain, hooks, shower faucets, shower surround, and shower head were all changed.

  • Flooring changed from linoleum to tile.

  • A shelf with some accessories were added above the toilet where there was once a picture of a pansy a friend and I took once upon a time.

  • The curtain remained the same but we added a candle feature to the windowsill.

  • The light fixture changed from those stage lights to a brushed nickle fixture. I also added a dimmer feature for a relaxing shower.

  • We went through hell with the vanity top. This was our third one. The first two were cracked when we opened the box. So after a nice chat with the mgr at Lowes, he knocked $100 off. The vanity itself was a great find at Lowes. Someone returned it because they were unhappy with the color. The size of this vanity generally goes for at least $500 but we got ours for $200 because it was an open box item. The other thing that I love about the vanity in addition to the cost, is that it is a lot taller than our previous one.

  • Danielle, who generally hates plants, really liked this particular one so I had to jump at the chance of adding it.

  • Mirror- at first we were going to add one large one but couldn't find any that would fit under the light fixture. So I got the bright idea to go to Michaels craft store to see if they sold mirrors. I totally hit the jackpot because I found the exact size to fit the two brushed nickel picture frames that once held the pansy pics. It worked out great because now we both have our own mirror and not only does it tie in with the faucets but it only cost me $16.

  • The big gaping square opening is where the previous cabinet was. I have a vision of turning it into an inverted space where I can put a vase with flowers or something to that effect. That will be my project this week.

  • This was such an interesting experience for the two of us. Even though we've been together for over 6 years, we just learned how incredibly different our taste/styles are. We really had to compromise and at times I had to pout to get my own way because I didn't want to compromise but all in all, I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. I generally get full reign of decorating our home but this was a fun project to do together.

*** The pics are before and the video is the after.



I just added this to rate my space on HGTV's website. To rate it (you don't have to leave a comment) go to RATE MY SPACE

9 comments:

Michelle said...

Looks fantastic! Love the candles under the window, the picture above the shower, the new color, the plant, love it all!

Anonymous said...

love it!!!

im off to vote for you on hgtv...

Melissa said...

Great Job!!

Crayonboxes said...

you gave the area a real soothing atmosphere. I like that :)

2momswithaplan said...

That looks great!!! Good Job!

giggleblue said...

wow, i always have dreams of doing stuff like this, but i don't know if i could!

tireegal68 said...

wow -your old bathroom looks like ours - now I need a make-over! Love the vanity and colors and all. Very clever and creative!
Congrats - enjoy!

Jeff9 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jess said...

That looks great!!!