Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Fantasies

I catch myself fantasizing during the day about things that I'm looking forward to sharing with SugarPlum. At the top of the list are breastfeeding, traveling, skiing, playing in the water at the beach, dancing without any regard around the house, going for walks with Gracie in tow (maybe by then she'll learn to walk next to me instead of 5 feet in front of me), playing with his toys, and snuggling.

I also fantasize about what he'll look like. Will he have curly hair or hair like my brothers? What shade of brown will he be? What color will his hair and eyes be? Will he be tall like his mamas (I'm 5'10" and Danielle is 6 feet)? Will he be a little chunky monkey or very skinny? Will he love to cuddle or will he be a self-soother? I'm curious about his personality. As it is right now, I'm under the impression that he's very strong willed or on the opposite end, laid back. He likes to do things on his own time, not when you want him to. He tends to give the u/s techs a run for their money when they want him to move to get a better look at him. He also doesn't respond very much to when I put a flashlight or music to my stomach or jiggle him around to get him to move. Danielle has only felt him move once. He moves around alot for me but it seems like when I call her over, he stops.

I fantasize about his birth day. How will I respond to being in labor? Will labor start while I'm at work or in the middle of the night? Will I end up using meds? Will I cry because my mother isn't there and aside from Danielle, it's the only other person I want there? Will he easily breastfeed?

In the midst of all of this I've been given a few good tips on how to manage the first week at home which I think will be the hardest. A few weeks before my due date, make a trip to Sam's club and buy prepared foods or foods that are easily to pop in the oven. Also make a few meals ahead of time and freeze. Make arrangements for Gracie to go over to MIL's for the week. Gracie demands a lot of attention and I know I will get frustrated with her. Once we get settled it will be easier to have her back home. The perk to this is that her siblings live next door to MIL so she can play with them in the backyard. Use disposable diapers for the first week or two while practicing with cloth diapers. Danielle is much better at prefolds than I am, so I can appreciate this. It's been fun to look on youtube at different ways to fold. My mom is making us a slew of diapers but it was suggested we use prefolds while I'm home on maternity leave and allow my mom to make larger sized diapers for when I return to work and he goes to daycare.

Only 11 more weeks until we meet our little guy. I'm beyond excited. I'm looking forward to week 30 only because it feels like we will be in the home stretch once we reach the 30's.

On another note to answer some questions from previous posts comments:
- My new sexy jeans came from Motherhood Maternity. They were sexy for the first wear. Now they are loose. Not as loose as my other ones but now I'm starting to think that maybe I should have bought another size smaller. My ass still looks good in them though. I can't remember the name brand but it's something like Lexy or Alexis.
- I passed my glucose screening with flying colors. My iron level is also good.
- We painted SP's room a latte color. I'll post pictures when the room is complete. Probably in another 1-2 weeks. We have all of the furniture but we are working on decorating the walls. However, here's a picture of Gracie Pooh Pants getting comfy in the nursery:

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gracie (so adorable) looks comfortable already! 30 weeks will be here in no time at all!

2momswithaplan said...

I love the picture... it's as if Gracie is thanking you for decorating the room for her! lol

I can't wait to see some pictures of your little guy... 11 weeks will come and go quickly so enjoy this time with him inside of you. :)

Anonymous said...

I am anxious to find out all about your little guy too! Hopefully he will be a good sleeper and have a hearty appetite!

anofferingoflove said...

I love the room preview!

I can't believe you are almost 29 weeks, your pregnancy is flying by (for me)! When are we gonna get some belly shots?! :-)

Jess said...

I'm loving the baby's room preview!
and it's funny that you mentioned that he doesn't respond very much to when you put a flashlight or music to your stomach or jiggle him around to get him to move, because this little one doesn't either. I can sometimes get her to move when I want her to, but mostly she'll move when she wants too at certain times of the day.

Gayby Rabies said...

It sure will be interesting to see if SugarPlum's personality inside the womb matches his personality outside the womb.
Thanks for the sneak peak of the nursery, I can't wait to see the whole thing.

Unknown said...

monkey is the same way - s/he will be doing crazy flips and the moment jb puts her hand on my belly the party stops. I think it's because monkey loves and is soothed by jb's touch already. It comes in handy when I'm trying to sleep ;)

J and DZ said...

Wow... 11 weeks will fly by. You're in the home stretch!
As far as the first week goes.. we bought pre-made food as well. It was good to have on hand.
Make sure you have baby items out of the box and ready to go and have the instructions read! Sounds simple enough but we found we weren't prepared and were confused on how to use stuff like the baby monitor. It was stressful trying to figure it out with the baby home!

tireegal68 said...

you are one organized lady!!!! I can't believe it's only 1 weeks to go. the pics of gracie are adorable. Can't wait to see the completed nursery and glad you go rid of the nasty blue:)

tireegal68 said...

oops I mean 11 weeks!

Several tips said...

Good post.