Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Hospital Tour

This morning Mr. Midwife took Danielle and I, along with another couple on a tour of the hospital. He told us where to sign in, showed us triage, L&D, and recovery. The triage area has a really nice jacuzzi that seems to be limited to patients using midwives. I guess the nurses are way too busy to monitor OB patients in there so it's not offered to them. The tub is a nice size with lots of jets. We are allowed to labor in there as long as possible. For those who used a tub or shower of some sort during your labor, what did you wear? I'm trying to figure out what would be the most appropriate/comfortable.

I'm really impressed with the labor and delivery area. It's quite large and cozy. I just assumed it would have a sterile feel to it but quite the contrary. Mr. Midwife showed us how the bed breaks down into a birthing chair and how there's a steel bar that can go across it if you want to brace yourself and squat during delivery. I just love that I'm not just limited to laying on my back and pushing. He's a big fan of moving around and trying different positions. He's also a big fan of kangaroo care and said the nurses have no problem accommodating us by holding off on weighing, feet stamping, etc of the baby for an hour or so.

The post partum rooms aren't as large or cozy but they will accommodate what we need for our 2 night stay. Visiting is 24 hours a day and Danielle can stay with me the entire time. The babies have a special device on their bracelets that literally shuts down the entire hospital (doors, elevators, etc) if someone goes beyond a certain point with them. I'm truly impressed with this security measure. Breastfeeding is encouraged as well as rooming in. He also gave us the tip of making a sign to bring with us that says "sleeping." He said you won't get much rest at the hospital but if you put the sign up, it can reduce some traffic in and out of your room with people like the water fillers, tray takers, etc.

So all in all, we enjoyed the tour. It definitely raised our level of excitement about the baby's arrival and made the idea that he'll be arriving soon all seem a little more real.

8 comments:

J and DZ said...

Good advice regarding the sleeping sign. We had a private room and joked it was like a revolving door at grand central station. He's soo right about people coming in the room. A "knock first" sign might be of value as well because no one knocked ou entire stay!
Re: what to where, I'd honestly consider nothing if you're in the tub. I spent my L&D stay with my pants off and my PP stay with my top off. You may care now (or not) but once things are happening you really do throw modesty out the window!!! Be comfortable any way you can. Maybe bring a sports bra for the tub?

anofferingoflove said...

the hospital sounds great! and i continue to be in awe/jealousy of your awesome midwife!

rachelbk said...

I didn't use the tub til after birth, but I've heard of people wearing a really long t-shirt or tank top. You will be 'checked' periodically so a swimsuit/shorts isn't practical, but I'd want at least my top covered, especially if they start parading student nurses and interns through your room, lol.

Jess said...

wow, what a great tour!! Your hospital sounds great! and a little like the one I'm going to. I love the jacuzzi tub as well. That was my favorite part of the tour. and I agree with Rachel!

giggleblue said...

at the birthing center, i was in the tub - i think i was so far progressed at that point, that i didn't care what i had on. so i wore a bra - that was it.

you won't want anything below, and i think a floating skirt or shirt would be annoying...

your DP might want to be prepared to get in the water with you. bra and boxer briefs or something might be appropriate for her. i think she would look crazy in a swim suit. be sure she brings extra undergarmets to change into after. just something to think about.

all the hospital staff knocked, but they knocked as they were opening the door - not helpful. a sleeping sign may be helpful!

Gayby Rabies said...

Sounds like a great hospital! And with Mr.Midwife there, I'm sure it will be even better. That's great that Danielle can stay with you the whole time. I got freaked out for a moment when I mis-understood my hospital's rules and thought that Elizabeth would have to leave at 7pm.

tireegal68 said...

that's great that you have it all lined up!
You are so smart to go with Mr Midwife!
I really want a midwife but with twins it's not going to be possible.
Good tips about the sleeping sign!
Do you gals have all your paperwork and legal stuff sorted out and how did you go about it?
Just curious:)

Suzy said...

Your hospital sounds pretty great! I used the tub in labour with my first and I was most definitely in the nud. And it didnt bother me at all at that point!
But if you are worried, perhaps just a sports bra for the tub, I dont think you'll want more than that! I thought I'd never get totally nude in front of numerous drs, midwives, students, friends etc but in labour I just did. not. care. !