Monday, April 26, 2010

What I've Learned So Far...

In the two weeks of being a mother, I've learned the following:
  • You have to allot WAY more time to get both yourself and the baby ready to go out, even if it's a quick trip to get frozen yogurt at Razzy Fresh.
  • ALWAYS bring a second set of clothing in case of accidents (i.e. blowouts)
  • Diaper blowouts SUCK. We've had them about every other day.
  • Breastfeeding poop stains (yep, the swing, bedspread, and clothing)
  • Sleep when the baby sleeps is easier said than done but I'm working on it.
  • You can't please everyone and these days I don't aspire to. If your feelings are hurt, I'm sorry but this is not about you, me, or his other mother. It's about him and I will continue to make decisions that I feel are in his best interest.
  • I have a lot of patience for crying and I hope it will continue as tonight Preston has learned to exercise his lungs.
  • Driving alone with him in the car was not as scary as I thought it would be.
  • However, driving in the rain storm alone in the car was slightly scary.
  • I need to get out of the house daily if even for a walk around the block. The other day I didn't and I cried on and off the entire evening. It was not a good day. The following day I left Preston with Danielle for 1.5 hours so I could run to Target and Motherhood Maternity and I felt like a new woman.
  • A good nursing bra makes a huge difference. Thank god for my mini trip to Motherhood Maternity.
  • Breastfeeding does get easier like everyone said after the first two weeks. Preston now feeds on demand except at night when he still gets fed at 1am and 4am and my boobs are less leaky! Yay!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That patience will be sorely tested over the years, believe me. I am now caught in between a (almost) teenager and a 2 year old. The tantrums are quite similar, actually.
I also had a solo trip to Target this weekend. It was heavenly. But I now have a taste for this 'forbidden fruit' and lust after it.
The diaper blowouts may stop if/when your kid gets chunky and the diapers fit more snugly. They may re-start if/when your kid outgrows diapers but still refuses to use a toilet.
My bedtime-nazi routine has offended many in that I frequently decline invites for events after 6pm. But it preserves my sanity, so I feel no guilt. I also feel no guilt in using my children as an excuse to not do something I have no interest in doing, such as serving at funerals, dusting exhibits at the historical museum and putting on mental health presentations at churches or health fairs on the weekend when I'm not getting paid. Kind of a fringe benefit of motherhood.

tireegal68 said...

Wow - those are great! I had to read them outloud to Susan. The diaper blow-outs sound wild ( and messy!)
are you saying that breast milk pooh leaves stains? Good to know! And good for you for putting your little guy's needs first and being a fierce mama bear - you're an inspiration!

Gayby Rabies said...

Seriously, how is he 2 weeks old already? Thanks for the new mom tips, I'll need all the advice I can get!

Unknown said...

Sounds like you are doing great! Good job, mama!