Thursday, August 20, 2009

My OB

I really cannot stress enough how much I really like my OB. She's very easy to get along with and very nice but even with all of that I'm just not sure we are going to use her. First of all, it was like hell getting in with her. If I didn't take the appointment yesterday during the middle of my work day then I had to wait until my second trimester to see her. That's how busy she is. Danielle and I took close to 4 hours off from work yesterday just for this appointment. We were waiting so long in both the waiting room and examination room. The consolation prize: patients are able to take any pregnancy magazine they want. Score!!! I just bought one the other day for $6. I quickly got a subscription for a year for $10 after that. But there was the Pregnancy and Newborn Magazine that I didn't get that we were told to take yesterday. Anyway....

During our meeting we learned several things: 1. she is now in a practice with 9 other doctors. We were encouraged to schedule with the other doctors so we could meet them. While I can understand that concept, I followed my OB to this new practice because I wanted HER, not any of them. 2. The only guarantee we could get that she would deliver out baby is if I made it to 39 weeks and got induced on a day she was available. Now, while I'm not here to pass judgement because I don't know much about being induced I will say this... - I'm under the impression the process of being induced was not so that you can specify the day your baby was born but for other more, lets say, medical reasons. I'm also all for the idea of not knowing when I'm going into labor or the day my baby is going to be born. Isn't that part of the fun? And lets point out that if I go earlier than 39 weeks, lets eh say 38w6d, then all bets are off and I get the doctor who is on call that night. Um, I don't think so. Anyway back to my list 3. because she moved practices, she has also moved hospitals. She no longer delivers at my #1 choice but at a more conservative hospital that doesn't allow birth control for their employees on their health plan. So with that in mind, I'm kind of worried that they will have some kind of restriction for Danielle. My doctor's response was "tell them to mind their own business." While I have no problem doing that, I don't want to risk Danielle not being allowed in L&D or caring for the baby.

So it's off to the Midwife we go on Monday. My fantasy would be that I could have both my OB and my Midwife involved but I doubt that happens in the real world. So unless my Midwife is a complete ass, we'll be using him.

In the meantime, Danielle and I are going to BRU this weekend to price some items (crib, furniture, strollers, etc). I can't wait.

This week in pregnancy land: Nausea. That sneaky bastard just kinda crept up on me without notice. Yesterday was the worst. My mother is so cute and told me this morning that she mailed me a box of ginger tea. I say this is cute because she could have easily instructed me to go to the grocery store down the street to get it myself and save the cost of shipping. This morning I also bought some ginger snaps from Whole Foods and B6 vitamins. I haven't taken any of the vitamins yet but I noticed that it is the primary ingredient in those prego pop things. Luckily for me, I'm finding a slight aversion to sweets, candies, etc. This my friends is excellent since it is partly responsible for my weight gain.

Next week we leave for L.A. Yippee!!!!! Sun, beach and my BFF Erica.

7 comments:

tireegal68 said...

wow - I think your list and your reasoning is very sensible and it sounds like playing roulette to see if you get your chosen OB and the odds are very slim.
I hope that the guy midwife works out but if not, aren't there others to choose from?
Cute to hear about your mom and the ginger tea and you being nauseous too! Yay, you!
HOpe your hols are great too!

2momswithaplan said...

I think chosing a midwife instead of using your OB is a great idea. That way you are at the hospital you want and you know who will be delivering your baby.

I can't believe you had to wait 4 hours at the OB... that's crazy! That alone would have been enough to make me switch doctors. Its too bad you don't live here in Florida or else I would have an AWESOME ob to refer to you.

Have fun on your trip... that sounds like so much fun!

Anonymous said...

hm, sounds like checking out the midwife is a good idea. hope the appointment goes well on monday.

enjoy BRU this weekend - it can be overwhelming, go rested & with a fully belly! :)

rachel said...

I am so excited for you and Danielle! I love that you call your little peanut Sugar Plum. So cute! Good luck during the pregnancy. I hope your nausea stays bearable. Have fun on vaca! I'll miss you at work!

Gayby Rabies said...

Your mom is so cute! She's going to go nuts making you cloth diapers and baby quilts, isn't she? I really hope you like the midwife. I agree that it's important to know that the person delivering your baby has to be there when you need them! You can't be induced just to fit someone's busy schedule!

Anonymous said...

It would really freak me out to have to 'get to know' 9 different doctors! I never had to see anyone but my OB, and there was never a chance he wouldn't deliver my baby or do my epidural, becuase he only takes patients he can do all that for. I think it's comforting to have someone you have built up a good relationship with in the delivery room, so if the midwife option gives you that and you aren't a 'high risk patient' (god, I hate that label!), go for it!

Jess said...

Sorry you had to wait so long to be seen! that is too long to wait. Can't wait to hear about your midife appointment Monday!