Friday, September 18, 2009

11 weeks

*Next week I have to go to Harrisburg (about 3 hours away) to work part of the week due to the G-20 coming to Pittsburgh. Some of the world leaders are staying in the hotel that is attached to my office building so we got the boot due to high security. I'm looking forward to the end of the week when I can relax at home, start some sewing, enjoy time with Danielle and the furbabies and try out some new recipes.

*Next Saturday I go for our first trimester screening. It's an u/s so I'm assuming we'll get to see SugarPlum.

*I find the birth boards to be completely useless. Women ask stupid questions like will coughing hurt my baby. One lady said she was so concerned she would hold a pillow to her stomach when she coughed. Seriously???

*Please pray for this 19 year old girl that I know. I wrote about her a few months ago when her father committed suicide. Well she's pregnant, was hospitalized yesterday due to complications and they plan to do a c-section on her tomorrow at 24 weeks. The doctor is not giving her much hope that her baby will survive. She asked me to come see her tonight at the hospital. I just hope that the baby pulls through and that somehow the universe provides her with the things she needs to raise this child. She is in an apt with no long term heat or electricity. She doesn't have a thing, not even clothes or diapers for this child and really doesn't have $$$ to buy anything. If the baby does survive, I'm sure he will be in the NICU for a few weeks/months so it will buy her some time. She truly is not in the best position to raise this child physically, financially, or emotionally but she's going to try so I can only hope and try to help.
UPDATE: I spent about 2.5 hours with her. She has severe pre-eclampsia and even with meds her bp didn't come down. She has a high protein level so they told her that they were taking the baby in an hour. That was about an 1.5 hours ago. My heart is just breaking for her because she is so scared. She won't share it outright but you can tell. She said she doesn't even want to see the baby. She just wants him to go to the NICU. She's so afraid he'll have down's or die. So while I can understand being self protective, my heart just breaks for the both of them.
UPDATE #2: He weighs 1.5 pounds and is in the NICU. She did look at him and says he is adorable. I'll go to see her tomorrow or Sunday.

9 comments:

KM said...

the first tri screen is a good long ultrasound. if you bring a dvd/cd sometimes they will actually record it for you. we did it just so we could see the bean at the time. it was an awesome experience. GL with yours.

Gayby Rabies said...

That poor girl. I can't even begin to imagine how hard these past few months have been for her. If her baby does make it and you need any donations of BRU gift cards or anything for her, just let me know.

I hope your screening goes well. I hope you get a dvd so you can post a SugarPlum movie!

justine said...

oh, i am so sorry to hear about this poor young woman. i hope you let us know how things are going there and, like GR said, if she needs help.

as for you, we're excited to see this sugarplum movie! or that you at least get a good long look!

Jess said...

Can't wait to see pics of sugarplum next week!!:)

I am so sorry about your friend!! I hope everything comes together for her soon! and that everything goes great for her little boy!!!

rachel said...

Oh my gosh, Lisa! I am so sorry to hear about the baby, but glad he is doing ok for now. I will talk to people at church and see what we can do.

Lots of love your way! I'll miss you this week at work!

Melissa said...

Have fun at the ultrasound, it's long and you'll be so surprised at how big SugarPlum has gotten. Congrats on hitting 11 weeks!!

tireegal68 said...

Oh wow I am so excited that you are 11 weeks! That went fast ( for me anyway!)
and your friend sounds like a brave woman who needs lots of support and resources. I hope that both might be available for her and her baby. I saw an article in a magazine recently about preemies that grew up big and string and a few of them were born that early and that small. If you are going to help her with resources, Craigs list and freecycle are great and I would be happy to make a donation. Maybe we could start a letter / card writing campaign to let her know she's not alone?
Looking forward to seeing your u/s pics!

Unknown said...

I'll be sending out good vibes for your patient and her baby.

As for the boards - I know exactly what you mean. I find Mothering's boards to be much better - the people are more informed and more likely to be open minded.

J and D said...

If you're looking at BBC I totally agree. The women on there are paranoid freaks! Harsh, I know but they really are strange. My birth board is full of questions like that.

So sorry to hear of your friend. That is such a sad/horrible situation. I hope both her and the baby are OK. It sounds like it is going to be very hard for them.