Saturday, April 18, 2009

Belly Dancing: the new sexy

Florida couldn't be any better. Actually it could if Danielle were here. But I'm having a great time visiting with my parents. I haven't seen both of them in a while.

Last night we went to watch belly dancers at a Mediterranean spot. My mother, apparently has been taking belly dancing. This, my friends is totally shocking. The show was so fantastic that I've decided to look into taking some classes when I get home. Apparently, the more tummy you have the more sensual and erotic you are viewed. Given that, I'd be a rock star, thanks to the joys of ttc. There's just something really beautiful about the way these women were admired given their shapes and the way they moved.
I'm in complete awe of my parents. Retirement has allowed them to enjoy working on their hobbies and they are really good at it. My dad is an excellent woodworker. I'll include some pics of furniture he's made which include headboards for the guest room, a chest of drawers, two armoires for my mother's quilts, and chairs for their patio. Although their home was a new build, he's done an amazing job installing crown molding and other little details to enhance the look.







My mother on the other hand has been bitten by the baby bug. No, she's not ttc at the age of 56, however, she's making lots of baby items such as blankets, diaper bags, sleep sacs and purses. One purse is so ideal for a mini diaper bag that I'm going to give it as a gift for one of the baby showers. It's enough for a few diapers, wipes, and a bottle. There's a purse that you can throw inside as well that matches. It holds credit cards, money, etc. They are awesome. She's done so well that people have commissioned her to make pieces for them and she's sold tons of stuff at different craft shows. I need to figure out how to get her online. Any thoughts? I'm not even sure if she wants to be online but she ought to be.

So what's on the agenda for today? Crabs and a street party/festival. We are going to pick up my granny in a little bit so we can go to where the fishermen sell their catches of the day and buy fresh crabs. My granny then boils them adds corn on the cob to the boil and then drains it all. Then she lays newspaper on the patio table, paper plates, warms a loaf of french bread in the oven, and puts it all out on the table with a big pitcher of homemade lemonade. Ideally, my mother and I would love to have wine with this wonderful feast but rule #1, no drinking around grandma... EVER! Anyway, with some good music and chatter, this is a great meal with family. Afterwards we are going to a street festival with that I've been told has lots of music and treats.

3 comments:

The Mims-Carr... said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
giggleblue said...

mom totally needs and etsy store and those crayon bags are cute! i think pepita may need one and i would venture to even place an order now!

you can build her etsy store, have her send you pictures of what she already has made, and then you can list it, and let her know of the orders. email her the shipping address and what they ordered and set her up a paypal account which automatically links to her bank account to deposit the payments. i'm pretty sure you could handle all of that from a distance so long as she has an email account to email her the sale information.

i'm super serious about that crayon/coloring book bag! keep me posted!

Jess said...

Wow, your mom and dad are great at what they love to do. The bags are so cute!! and I love the things that your dad had done!!!