Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Susan

A friend of mine is dying of ovarian cancer. Although I don't know what to say or do, I think I will go visit her tomorrow if she is allowed visitors.

UPDATE (Thursday, April 9th): I went to visit Susan today. I didn't go yesterday as planned bc of my bad mood but today was a better day anyway. It was great to see her and physically she looked great. However, it was evident within 5 minutes that cognitively she was not doing very well. She appeared confused at times, experienced delayed responses, and would easily go off into a deep thought in mid conversation. Despite all of that, I spent about 2 hours visiting which was way longer than I anticipated. Her partner came about an hour in which made the visit even better.

7 comments:

Jess said...

Awww, I'm so very sorry about your friend!!!

2momswithaplan said...

Oh that's horrible! I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. A visit from you may be just what she needs right now.

Melissa said...

Oh no Lisa I'm so sorry. I think she will enjoy your company and don't put too much stress on yourself that there is something you should do. Just being there for her will be enough.

giggleblue said...

i'm so sorry to hear about your friend. even if you are there to offer nothing but a listening ear, i'm sure she'll appreciate it. hugs.

Gayby Rabies said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. A friend of mine was battling breast cancer a few months ago (she's in remission now) and really appreciated just having people around, especially while she was in the hospital. She didn't need anyone to say or do anything special, she was just happy that she didn't have to go through it alone.

tireegal68 said...

I am so so sorry about your friend.
I echo what others have said - keep in touch with her as much as you are able and she can tolerate; just being there is enough and when you can't be there a card or a note is good too:)
Being sick can be very isolating - I am so sorry -ovarian cancer is so insidious and so difficult to detect until it's really advanced. take care. Sending healing thoughts for your friend, Susan:)

Crayonboxes said...

OMG! I am so sorry~!*hugs*