Saturday, April 4, 2009

The Bug

I envy Samantha Brown from the Travel Channel. She has what I feel like is the coolest, most glam job ever. She gets to travel around the world, enjoy the perks of the best hotels, experience different cultures, and eat great food on someone elses dime. Even her wardrobe is taken care of. Who wouldn't love to get paid to travel and try out cool excursions? After watching a few of her shows over the weekend I have the travel bug.

I'm dying to take Danielle to England. Although I didn't grow up in London (I grew up further north in Leeds), I think that's where I'd like to take her and spend most of our time. We would make an exception to see my brother who lives outside of London. However, the cost of flying to the UK is outrageous and the currency conversion from dollars to pounds sucks!

My other itch is to be on a beach. I've heard great things about South Beach but I also get the feeling it's a little spring break like and have no desire to be around drunk college students. I guess it doesn't help that my parents just left for Jamaica this morning so I'm feeling quite envious.

Danielle and I generally usually reserve our vacations for the winter months, simply because I'd rather be on a beach during the winter and enjoy the warm weather at home during the summer. But I'm wondering if maybe we can switch it up. However, Danielle refuses to go on vacation if she's pregnant.

Yep, you read right, Danielle and pregnant were in the same sentence. Our ttc journey has been a long one. I started ttc two years ago, 14 tries ago, thousands and thousands of dollars ago, you get the picture. Although there's nothing more in the world I want to be than be pregnant, I've also gotten to a place where I just want to start our family. And if that means I have to bow out and let Danielle take over, well then I'm just going to have to put on my big girl panties (not to be confused with granny panties) and let her try.

So the plan is to monitor her this month while I do my last round of injectables. If I get a bfn, then she will take over in May and try several times and I'll take over for a few tries until one of us gets a bfp. I feel like knowing my luck she will get pregnant on the first try and I will then have to deal with what that implicates about me. But that's the goal right? For one of us to get pregnant this year.

Talking about wearing my big girl panties, I've been invited to not one but two baby showers this month and one next month. What's the icing to all of this? Yesterday, I was asked to co-host one of them. What was I going to say? No. All invitations are from dear friends so this calls for the Victoria Secret panties. I figure if I'm going to do this, I might as well do it with some mental flair. I'd lie if I said this isn't going to be incredibly hard for me. Receiving the cute invitation in the mail on the day AF started was hard enough, then I opened up my trap and gave away my baby shower theme and the co-host loves it and wants to use it. So now I have to work hard on coming up with another theme that she will love just as much and want to use.

So I'm taking suggestions for baby shower themes and vacation spots.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

aw, a vacation sounds nice...

when we switched uteruses, i thought i'd get pregnant quickly too. it wasnt so much about my partner's abilities as it was a feeling that the universe had already dealt us enough crap and we were due for a break.

im proud of you for agreeing to co-host the baby shower. i was asked to do that last fall and i just couldnt. not only did i bow out of hosting, i didnt even show up for the party! too friggin' painful.

tireegal68 said...

oh -whoops I just wrote along comment and then lost it!
In short - I did the vacation idea big time and hear you about the exchange rate to England. that's a great idea to go on vacay in the winter and stay home in the summer.
I hope you get to your big baby destination really soon, and I am rooting you on. For a minute I thought you were going to say that D had been secretly TTC ing and she was BFP!

Melissa said...

I think you are incredibly strong for not only hosting and attending baby showers but for having the strength to switch to Danielle for a little bit. It takes a great deal of emotional strength to do that and you should be proud of yourself for having that it the midst of everything else going on.

I'm hoping that this cycle is it for you and the whole decision to move to Danielle won't need to be addressed :)

Amy said...

The level your on on wii fit step aerobics is the same level we have hit. We only have Rock Band, Wii Fit, and the games it came with. Are we missing out on a great game?

2momswithaplan said...

I would highly recommend Indialantic beach. I'm partial because that's where Holly and I had our ceremony. It's quiet, beautiful, and relaxing. Another beautiful beach is seista key beach. They have the most beautiful sunsets (Florida's west coast). They also have an awesome drum circle every sunday at sunset on the beach. Very relaxing!

I don't recommend south beach. It's cool for the young, model, partier but that's about it. It's over priced and low quality.

I know its hard to hand the TTC reins over to your DP... I had a hard time with it as well. But in the end, it won't matter when you are holding your baby.

giggleblue said...

we already pretty much set in stone that we are going to atlantis this holiday. christmas is better spent at the beach.

as far as the baby shower hosting, that is a tough one and while i'm proud of you for stepping forward, i'm also feeling a whirlwind of emotions for you. i think it would be completely acceptable for you to request that she didn't use your theme. i think if you explained why, she couldn't help but be understanding.

i suck at baby shower themes, so i'm no help there, but i do think a vacation is in order. and try to ease dp into the travel thing. we went to nyc when i was 28 weeks. i made it and i thought travel during the second trimester was great, but granted anything after 28 weeks would have been pushing it, unless the trip center solely on sitting on my ass.