Monday, March 8, 2010

Our Baby Shower

Our baby shower was simply amazing. It was touching to see how much attention to detail Erica (hostess) put in, to incorporate both Danielle and I in a way that I think and hope Danielle felt this shower was as much for her as it was for me.

The shower was High Tea held at "the oldest dining room in Pittsburgh" at the Terrace Room in the Omni Hotel. The room looked beautiful with the linen cloaked tables, table settings, and chandeliers. It reminded Danielle and I of the dining rooms on our cruise ship. Erica set each place setting with favors that matched the theme of our invitations. They included a bookmark, chocolate lollipop with our names and date on it, and a tea bag in the most beautiful themed packet. She also made homemade red velvet cupcakes for people to take home with them and put them in their own individual boxes. I think our guests felt just as well thought of as Danielle and I did.

With the exception of one, everyone showed up. Games included naming the children of the listed tv parents and their show. Erica is a HUGE tv/movie fan so this was so her and a lot of fun. Another game included trying to guess the most items in my diaper bag. My niece Logan, was given the job of walking around with a baby bottle of jellybeans and allowed each person to guess how many were in it. Logan (age 5) and my 1 year old niece were the only children there so it was nice to give her a job to do. And then the last game was while I opened my presents. Everyone was given a bingo board with common baby items and as I opened my gifts they were able to use their marker (spring colored M&M's) to mark it off. We ended up with a few bingos. This was my favorite game because it kept people interested as we opened up gifts. In between games and as we were having tea, Erica did a "P3 challenge." If some of you remember the ongoing joke/nickname for Danielle is P3 (professional poker player- long story). Anyway, on the cupcake boxes and under the tea cup saucers, Erica randomly placed poker stickers. Whoever, had the sticker she called out won the prize. And talking about prizes, she picked out some really nice prizes. I could see that the guests were impressed and really enjoyed them.

Um, what else? Oh, yeah gifts. We got TONS of gifts. Once again, I have amazing friends who are incredibly generous. Our little guy is going to be so decked out in all of his cute clothes. My friends have great taste in baby clothing!!! Someone commented towards the end that we didn't receive any blankets, bottles, or receiving blankets and they were right. We have enough at home but usually people receive tons of them. I think it just means that my friends think outside the box!!! Other gifts included super cute bibs, an Ergo carrier, exersaucer, pj's and shower gel/lotion for me to take to the hospital, toys, diapers/wipes, tons of books with beautiful greetings written from the gift giver, monitor, money, gift cards, etc. Truly, our little guy was lavished with lots of wonderful gifts.

Anyway, all in all, I had a great time. It was truly everything I hoped and wished it to be. My friends have been so incredibly supportive along my journey and it was nice to have them all there with us to celebrate the pending arrival of our little guy.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, I'm glad you had such a great time. It makes a mom feel so good to know that people are supporting you and are welcoming your baby with open arms!

giggleblue said...

i'm happy you had a great time! may i recommend the aden and anais blankets. far better than a receiving blanket and ohhhh, sooo soft. plus, you can swaddle baby for so much longer in them.

Unknown said...

I'm sooooooooo glad you had a great time! That gift opening game is sheer genius! So funny, because jb and I celebrated our anniversary at the omni and checked in on Sunday early afternoon - so funny that we could have crossed paths like that! Enjoy all your new gear!

Lisa said...

Giggle- I actually bought 6 of those Aden and Anais blankets. I've heard great things about them. Danielle said she can't wait to practice the swaddle part of the 5 s's with him. She's all about that book now!!!

Jess said...

You got a lot of great stuff!!! I absolutely love the crib! so beautiful!!
Sounds like your baby shower was a hit! :)

Unknown said...

Hi Lisa,
Looks like you had a great baby shower, great idea on all the games. Hope you are feeling well.

Bev

Suzy said...

That all sounds wonderful. I wish baby showers were such a big deal out here but they're not :(

I'm so glad you and Danielle had a wonderful shower :)

xxx

Cody Taylor said...

If you have family that is long distance, but you want them to see your baby after it's born this might be of interest to you:

http://thesystemworks.acnrep.com/n_products_digitalphone.asp?CO_LA=US_EN&BW=

Gayby Rabies said...

Your shower sounds like it was actually a lot of fun! I know some of them can be painfully dull. It looks like SugarPlum cleaned up with all of those gifts. I especially love the toy cell phone- so much has changed from our childhoods of playing with toy rotary phones!