Sunday, July 27, 2008

PCO vs. PCOS


I should have more days like the one today. It was very relaxing and laid back. We went to a really cool jazz concert in the park this evening. I loved it. Danielle hated it. She is not a very outdoor-sy type of girl. However, I love that she tolerates my desire to be "one with nature" and engages in my outdoor events.

My book on PCOS came in at the library today so I picked it up earlier today and finished it already. I wonder if I can add that to my library summer reading list? Anyway, it was a good read and the author, Dr. John Eden, made a clear distinction between polycystic ovaries and polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCO and PCOS). Because I haven't received the results of my hormone tests yet, I identified more with PCO. He pretty much said that women with PCO can have a polycystic u/s reading and acne or excessive hair and still have normal fertility and not need any medication intervention. Whereas a woman with PCOS has two of the three: menstrual irregularities (nope), polycystic ovaries (yes) and clinical and/or blood test evidence of raised androgens (unknown at this point). At any rate, he really stressed throughout the book that losing weight will help significantly with PCO, PCOS, and Insulin Resistant females. He said in his practice he has seen an increase in menstruation, ovulation, and pregnancy with just losing 8-11 pounds. Although his book isn't gospel, it does give me some additional questions to ask my RE during our phone consult. His book.

Anyway, I'm off to bed.

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Wow, I didn't even know their was a difference. You are a top notch researcher.