Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Why people do the things they do

I got a call last night from a kiddo who I use to see years ago. She was crying hysterically because her father committed suicide by hanging earlier that day. She asked if I could come and see her today. Suicide is such an interesting thing to me. Although I know better (i.e the dynamics around suicide, why people do it, what triggers it) I can't help but feel really sad and angry at the fact that he left behind beautiful children and traumatized the person who found him hanging.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my god. im glad you were able to be there for your friend, what a horrid situation...

Melissa said...

How sad. You must have made quite an impact on this girl for her to call you at such a difficult time. You must be pretty special :)

Gayby Rabies said...

That's awful- poor girl. I'm glad she had you to call and lend support in this difficult time.

tireegal68 said...

wow - you were there at the right time. I always think that we should have a t-shirt kind of like those joke homicide detectives shirts that says "Homicide: our day begins when your day ends". "Therapists/ social workers - dealing with the really hard shit one day at a time", or "we walk in when everyone else walks out".
Yes it really sucks for the people left behind!

Jess said...

That is just awful!!!